Violent Media: Good or Bad?

A lot of people look at violent media and they say that it is bad for children. When I was younger, my mother never wanted me playing or watching anything that had violence in it. However, what some people do not understand is that kids today need a way to get away from reality and into the world that they find entertaining, which is reffered to as violent. Adults worry a little to much when it comes to their children associating with violent games, television, etc., but it is just for entertainment purposes only. I used to tell my grandma all the time that I would only play games like Grand Theft Auto because they were entertaining to me, but she still did not like me playing those types of video games. Not everyone takes what they see on the television screen to heart. From my personal experience, media that involved any type of violence usually distracts me from all of the nonsense in the outside world and brings me into the world in which I find entertaining and keeps me occupied. Also, with violent media being a distraction from all kinds of negative things, but if you're a little kid it helps raise your confidence in a way. According to author Gerard Jones, "Pretending to have superhuman powers helps children conquer the feeling of powerlessness that inevitably come with being so young and small." (Gerard 2-3). The author is basically saying it is good for young children to feel like they are invincible, and for them to feel like no matter what people might say, in their minds they are unstoppable. However, violent media is not good for everybody. Some people will actually take what they see on the screen into the real world and harm others. For example, back in 2003, a teen that played Grand Theft Auto 3 went and killed 3 men after playing that game (Fox News). Usually with this type of stuff happening, these people are not usually mentally stable because people with a strong mental health would not do something like that. At the end of the day, media will forever portray violence and majority of the time kids use this violence in media to make themselves feel better.

Comments